The Old Mission Inn was built in 1869. In it's 153 years in operation, it has only had 4 owners. The original owners and builders, George and Betsy Hedden, named the historic hotel, Hedden Hall. In it's early days, it boasted 31 rooms, that was well before plumbing and electric was added. It also was home to the Old Mission Post office for 20 years. George Hedden was the Postmaster from 1869 to 18
Alfred and Ella Porter purchased the Inn in 1902. It then became known as The Porter Hotel (or The Porter House). The Porters ran the hotel for 43 years and also operated the Old Mission Citizens Telephone Company at this location as well as a restaurant and bar. The Porter's guest registers were gifted to us and are on display including featuring Babe Ruth and Joe Louis signatures in 1936.
Norman and Doris Nevinger purchased the hotel in 1945. It was then that it became The Old Mission Inn. The Nevingers also ran a restaurant at the Inn as well as a campground and a sea plane base. The Nevingers operated the Inn for 53 years of service until it's sale in 1998 to the current owners, the Jensen's. The Old Mission Inn is currently the oldest continually operating hotel in Michigan.
Old Mission Inn / Mission Bay Cafe
18599 Mission Rd, Traverse City, MI 49686
Copyright © 2021 Old Mission Inn / Mission Bay Cafe - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by GoDaddy